Are you thinking of applying for immigration visa to come to Australia? There are different types of visas which include:

  • Student visas (Subclass 500)
  • Skilled Migration visas (Including 485 Graduate visa)
  • Points tested Employer sponsored visas (Subclasses 189/190/489)
  • Non-points tested employer sponsored visas (Subclasses 457/186/187)
  • Visitor/ Sports/entertainment visas
  • Partner/Spouse visas
  • Family visas (Including parent/child visas)
  • Business visas
  • Protection/Refugee/Humanitarian visas

There are a few things you need to know first before you begin the process.

Firstly, any and all matters relating to immigration and citizenship must be dealt with by the Department of Immigration and Boarder Protection (or the DIBP), so the first thing you should do before applying for a visa is familiarise yourself with this department at Do some research online and read about it so that when you begin the process, you are prepared for what it will entail.

You should then make sure you know which visa to apply for as there are few options depending on your circumstances, check out this ‘Find a Visa Tool’ on the Australian Government website to help you.

You can chose to complete the application form either online or on paperand this can be quite daunting for some people so a great tip is to read over what you need for the application, take down notes and be very thorough when you do so. It’s very important that the information you provide is clear and accurate so rather than jumping into this head-first, familiarise yourself with what you will need so you don’t feel so overwhelmed when you start.

A migration lawyer/agent can give you lots of helpful information about what you need to know before coming to Australia such as on the right type of visa, culture, etiquette, currency, language and weather. For example, tipping is not common practice in Australia and if you are unaware of this before coming over you can risk being too generous, especially considering Australia is known for being quite expensive!

There is much to learn before migrating here so if you need help or advice, contact our Adelaide Office today and/or, follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.

Many students from around the world chose Australia as their overseas study destination as we are known around the world as a welcoming and friendly country. Australia as popular because unlike some undeveloped countries, we are westernised which for a lot of people translates to a ‘less intimidating ‘option.

Once a student has made the decision to come to Australia to study, they will need to obtain a student visa. It is important that you keep up to date with the current visa requirements to guarantee visa application success for your course. This process is actually quite fast and simple and can be done completely online. Some people may find this process stressful and scary, especially considering there is lots of advice out there; good and bad.

One of the requirements of obtaining an Australian student visa is that the education institute in which you are enrolled is CRICOS registered so ensure the course you have registered in meets this requirement.

You need to prove that you have sufficient funds to support your course fees and living costs. You will need approximate $18, 000 per year living costs. You must be able to demonstrate you are a genuine student (by satisfying the (GTE) criteria.The course you have applied for may require you to have already completed and English language test.

Another requirement is that you must apply to take part in one of the following courses:

  • primary school or high school,
  • higher-education tertiary course,
  • short course, vocational education and training course,
  • intensive English language course or
  • Post-graduate research.

The course should also be full time and at least three months long. This is non-negotiable so when obtaining advice about your student Visa, ensure you are being told the correct information in regards to this. Not doing so can result in your visa being declined or you having to resubmit your documents which can slow down the process.

Health insurance is another important requirement to obtaining your student visa in Australia so make sure you’ve got that covered before you submit your application.

Once you have done this, you will need to apply to study through your respective institutions website and then wait to be approved.  Most student visa holders are permitted to work up to 40 hours per week. You can only start working once your course has started.

For the right advice don’t hesitate to contact us today!  You can keep up to date by reading our free student visa articles on our blog, and by following us on Facebook & LinkedIn

The Department of Immigration (DIBP) has recently announced that the Skilled Nomination (Subclasses 190 and 489) visa places are close to being filled for the 2014-2015 year.

When the remaining places are filled, this will imply that all applicants who currently have applications being processed will be required to wait until the next programme year (2015-2016) to be able to be granted a visa.

Since 1 August 2014, an electronic lodgment of the subclass 600 (visitor) visa has been extended to 66 additional countries. The 66 additional Countries include: Angola, Anguilla, Armenia, Benin, Bermuda, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, the Cayman Islands; the Central African Republic; Comoros; the Democratic Republic of the Congo; the Republic of the Congo; Cote D’Ivoire, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, the Falkland Islands, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Gibraltar, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Montserrat, Mozambique, Namibia, New Zealand, Niger, Nigeria, the Philippines, the Pitcairn Island, Rwanda, Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, the Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa, the Republic of South Sudan, Swaziland, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Togo, Turkmenistan, the Turks and Caicos Islands, Uganda, Uzbekistan, the Virgin Islands, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

• Condition 8503 is a mandatory condition for visitor visa (subclass 600). It can also be imposed on many different types of temporary residence visas.

• If this condition has been imposed on your visas it means you cannot extend your stay or apply for another visa while you are in Australia (other than a protection visas or a temporary visa of a specified kind).

• It is to be noted that there may be circumstances where you can apply for a waiver from the Department of Immigration. FEN Lawyers can assist you in regard to this matter. To obtain a waiver you must satisfy DIBP that:

o The circumstances that have developed since you were granted the visa are both compassionate and compelling

o You had no control over these circumstances

o These circumstances have resulted in a major change to your personal circumstances.